Everly - St. Mary
EVERLY - St. Mary's Parish of Everly began as a mission parish of Sacred Heart in Spencer in the newly established town of Everly in 1902.
Mass was celebrated by neighboring pastors from Spencer on the second floor hall of the drug store in town until 1902.
The original church was built in 1902. It was 26 feet by 36 feet in size, and was built at the cost of approximately $1,000. It was located on the grounds now occupied by the Clay Central-Everly High School gymnasium. And it served the people of the parish from 1902-1962.
In 1962 it was realized that a larger and more modern church facility was needed. And so the original church was razed and the parish occupied the old Lutheran Church in town while parishioners raised funds for a new building.
Property was purchased in the southwest corner of Everly and construction was begun in the spring of 1966. In 1967 a new church with the seating capacity of 220 was completed. St. Mary's parish was served well by the new church building up to the time of it's closing on June 27, 2004.
From 1902 until 1923 the priests of Spencer served the little parish. The priests included Father M. J. Hetherington, Father B. J. Hunt, and Father H. J. Schleier.
In 1923 the parish became a mission church of St. Louis in Royal and continued to be served by the pastors of St. Louis until its closing.
St. Mary's Catholic Church has been blessed with the service of devout spiritual leaders over the years. It's pastors include the Priests of Spencer listed above and from 1923 on:
Fathers Gabriel Barry (1923-1933), Francis Schultes (1933-1939),Henry Karhoff(1939-1943), Nicholas Becker (1943-1954), Victor Kollasch (1954-1960), Robert Kirschbaum (1960-1973),Thomas Munn (1973-1985), Eugene Schumacher (1985-1992),Anthony Pick (1992-1999), Francis Higgins (1999-2000)and Timothy Fitzgerald (2000-2004).