Celebrating 100 years
Catholic Globe report
Organizers have a full slate of events planned for locals and visitors alike including family-friendly events. Storm Lake United’s Lakefest music and barbeque celebration will be held in conjunction with the centennial for a variety of weekend activities.
St. Mary’s School opened in the fall of 1912 with grades 1-8. Msgr. William Cooke is credited with opening the local parochial school and staffing it with Franciscan sisters of Clinton. Some o the students living in the country boarded at the school during the Week. Today St. Mary’s has 316 preK-12 students enrolled. Twenty percent of the students are Protestants; 36 percent are minority and 48 percent of students receive tuition assistance.
Following are some highlights and new details about the Centennial Kickoff weekend:
- Ten priests will be concelebrating the Saturday, June 16 5:30 p.m. mass – including the three living “native son” priests– Fr. Gene Murray SMHS ’57 will give the homily. Fr. Dale Launderville SMHS ’69, and Fr. Pat Behm SMHS ’00 will also speak at the mass. There will also be an alumni choir and presentation of a special gift to the school from the Class of 1972. The public is invited to this alumni Mass.
- A Storm Lake United Coffee will be held Friday, June 15 at 10:30 a.m. in the school to celebrate the school’s birthday. The school will be open for guests to view the displays and videos.
- Members of the 1993 St. Mary’s baseball team – Class 1A State Champions – will be honored at the St. Mary’s/East Sac baseball game Friday, June 15. Junior varsity begins at 5:30 p.m. at Memorial Field
- Over 30 former Panther baseball players and coaches will take Memorial Field at our first ever alumni scrimmage game Saturday, June 16 at 11 a.m. The concession stand will be open. Graduates from 1983-2010 will be playing, including recently ordained Father Pat Behm, who graduated from St. Mary’s in 2000. There is no admission fee to attend this game.
- A Centennial Banquet will be held Saturday, June 16 at the Knights of Columbus Hall. The meal will be served from 6-8:30 p.m. with a cash bar open during and after the meal. The Classes of 1952, 1971 and 1972 will have their reunion banquets at the hall. Tickets available at the door for $15.
- The school will be open for guests and tours Saturday, June 16 from 10 a.m.-noon and 6:30-7:30 p.m. and Sunday, June 17 from 9 a.m. – noon. Historical displays and videos will be featured throughout the building. The St. Mary’s Fine Arts Boosters will have a free will offering for continental breakfast.
- All are invited to a social at King’s Pointe, Friday, June 15 starting at 6 p.m. The Lakefest committee and King’s Pointe have free entertainment on the patio. Register to win an alumni sweatshirt.
- St. Mary’s Alumni were invited to participate in the Fitzpatrick Auto and Truck Center Car show in Awaysis Park Saturday, June 16 from noon-3 p.m. as part of the Lakefest activities.
For more information on the St. Mary’s Centennial Celebration or for more historical facts about St. Mary’s School, go to stormlakecatholic.com and click on the school tab or contact St. Mary’s at 712-732-3110 or email@example.com. The Centennial Facebook page is St. Mary’s Centennial and includes many alumni and school photos.
|Back to top|
|Headlines | Home|