Compiled by Julie Pravecek
Taken from the weeks of Aug. 31 to Sept. 14.
10 years ago – 2006
- SHELDON – St. Patrick’s School celebrated 50 years with an open house in the school from 1 to 4 p .m. There were pictures of all the classes that have graduated from St. Patrick’s as well as other photos and memorabilia.
- SIOUX CITY – Four teachers were honored at the Oct. 22 Bishop’s Dinner for Catholic Schools. This year’s recipients are Terri Kimbell of Holy Cross School, Sioux City; Kay DeWall of Pocahontas Catholic School; Barbara Lilly of St. Edmond Middle/High School, Fort Dodge; and Kathryn Braddy of Kuemper Catholic School in Carroll.
- LE MARS – Five Eagle Scouts received honors: Jeremy Rhodes, 16, St. Joseph’s Parish, son of Ken and Barb Rhodes; Ryan Beitelspacher, 18, St. Joseph’s Parish, son of Henry and Becky Beitelspacher; Devin Christoffel, 17, St. James Parish, son of Dean and Lisa Christoffel; Nicholas Swalve, 18, St. Catherine Parish, son of Steve and Connie Swalve; and Andrew Schmitz, 18, St. James Parish, son of John Schmitz and Deb Schmitz.
25 years ago – 1991
- ANTHON – St. Joseph Parish will celebrate their centennial on Sept. 14 -15. The Centennial Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Anthon native Father Lawrence Walling will be the homilist.
- ALVORD – Sacred Heart Parish of Alvord celebrated its 100th anniversary with a centennial Mass on Sept. 7, followed by a dinner and program.
- Enrollment at the Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Sioux City has increased by 40 students offsetting last year’s drop of 53 students, according to figures from the diocesan Office of Education.
50 years ago – 1966
- SIOUX CITY – In a meeting last week with the bishops and priests of the diocese, Franciscan Sister Mary Jordan Dahm, president of Briar Cliff College, presented an evaluative review of the 1965-66 academic year and a forecast of the expansion at the college through 1975.
- STORM LAKE – Some 600 friends, parishioners and clergy gathered Sunday, Aug. 14, in St. Mary’s gym to bid farewell to Father James McAlpin, departing assistant pastor. Father McAlpin has now taken up his new duties as assistant of St. Lawrence parish, Carroll.
- CARROLL – Kuemper marks its 13th year with an enrollment of 1,140 pupils.