Compiled by Julie Pravecek
Taken from the archives of Aug. 1 – Aug. 17.
10 years ago – 2006
- The evening of Aug. 1 brought a storm that leveled Maryhill Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church near Cherokee. photo p. 1
- Sacred Heart in Ida Grove welcomes RAGBRAI.
- Sioux City Immaculate Conception celebrates 100 years on Aug. 13 with a 3 p.m. Mass followed by a light lunch in the Mater Dei-Immaculate Conception Center gym.
25 years ago – 1991
- A new church serving the Catholic family of Sacred Heart Parish in Sioux City will be dedicated on Aug. 18. Bishop Lawrence D. Soens will consecrate the new worship center and celebrate a 4 p.m. Mass in the new church.
- On Aug. 15. 1981, Eternal Word Television Network began broadcasting to 60,000 viewers. This month EWTN celebrates its 10th anniversary with a special program.
- Pope John Paul II kissed the grey tombstone which marked the graves of his parents and elder brother as he prayed at their burial site in Krakow, Poland, at the beginning of his latest foreign journey.
50 years ago – 1966
- As the civil Right Bill of 1966 reached the House floor, nearly 100 Catholic nuns from every part of the United States – most of them summer school students in Washington, D.C. – were spending their spare time visiting congressmen from their home states to urge strong support for the bill.
- Father Andrew M. Greeley said in Chicago that Catholic schools generally have the greatest impact on the religious life and behavior of students who come from houses where parents manifest a devout religious life of their own.
- Jerry Cooper, formerly of Sioux City, has been granted a graduate assistantship at Colorado State College, Greeley. He will do research work in audio visual aids along with his teaching duties.