Compiled by Julie Pravecek
Taken from the weeks of Aug. 18 – 30.
10 years ago – 2006
- Carroll St. Anthony Regional Hospital breaks ground for new addition.
- Blencoe St. Bernard Church reopens after closure from fire in 2004. Photo p. 16.
- West Bend Grotto of the Redemption continues to attract from near and far.
25 years ago – 1991
- With the removal of Mikhail Gorbachev as president of the Soviet Union, the Vatican lost a key ally in the struggle to bring full religious freedom to Soviet Catholics.
- Sacred Heart Church of Alvord will celebrate its 100th anniversary on Sept. 7 with a 5:30 p.m. Mass; a catered meal will follow.
- Carroll Legion of Mary notes anniversary. To commemorate the fifth anniversary of the daily exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in Holy Spirit Convent Chapel and the 40th anniversary of the Legion of Mary in Carroll, the local legionaries held an outdoor procession of the Blessed Sacrament following Mass on Aug. 15.
50 years ago – 1966
- Thirty-six new teachers will join the faculties of 11 Carroll county parochial schools this fall, according to an announcement from the elementary supervisor.
- Breda St. Bernard School, with an anticipated enrollment of slightly more than 400, will begin classes on Aug. 29. Classes will be shortened on the first day and dismissal will be at 11:30 a.m.
- Pocahontas – Twelve Pocahontas Catholic students and two faculty members attended the Great Plains Conference on the Apostolate at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb, Aug. 8-12.