July 15 – July 31
10 years ago – 2006
- ν EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo to headline 10th annual Bishop’s Dinner for Catholic Education.
- ν The Carroll Knights of Columbus Rosary Foundation has distributed close to 2 million ring rosaries throughout the Midwest.
- ν The Iowa Knights of Columbus recently honored Msgr. Mark Duchaine, chaplain of Knights of Columbus Council 2839 in Danbury, with the Chaplain of the Year award for the Diocese of Sioux City. (photo July 27, 2006 issue, page 5.)
25 years ago – 1991
- ν Kuemper students experience Native American lifestyle.
- ν Sister Lauren Moynahan, principal of Christ the King School in San Antonio, won’t have her photograph taken in a karate pose. “Too intimidating,” she says.
- ν Sioux City women Virginia Van Lent and Marilyn Wallen, recently visited Mother Angelica, founder of the Eternal Word Television Network, at the cloister where she lives and from where her cable network broadcasts. The two women were given a tour of the facility and were able to be in the audience for the June 25th live show.
50 years ago – 1966
- ν Doctor Zhivago will be shown at the Cinema Theater in Morningside, Sioux City, beginning July 20. The management of the theater is cooperating with Nativity Parish in making the premiere showing of the movie a benefit for the new parish in Morningside. All ladies attending on this night will be given an orchid.
- ν On the occasion of the third anniversary of the coronation of His Holiness, Pope Paul VI, the Most Rev. Joseph M. Mueller, Bishop of Sioux City, extended greetings on behalf of the bishops, priests, religious and laity on the Diocese of Sioux City.
- ν Installation of 1966-67 officers of Leo Council No. 814, Knights of Columbus, was held at the monthly meeting, Wednesday, July 14, in the Sacred Heart Parish Hall, Boone. Grand Knight W. R. Davis conducted the meeting with opening prayer by Father Richard Remmes.