10 years ago – 2006
- Iowa City – Tornado severely damages Iowa City parish. tornadoes and strong winds that ripped through Iowa City on Holy Thursday evening caused severe damage to the historic St. Patrick Church. Photo
- West Bend – The Grotto of the Redemption will hold the 2nd Annual Blessing of the Bikes Spirit Ride on April 29.
25 years ago – 1991
- The 7th annual Friends of Kuemper Ball will be held on May 4 at the Carrollton Center in Carroll. This year’s theme is country western and entitled, “Kuemper Roundup 91.” Pictured above are chairman: Ken and Janet Sanders and Carolyn and Greg Siemann. The past balls have generated over $567,000 for projects for the schools. (photo to put in)
- Recently earning the Marian Award at St. Mary Church in Spirit Lake are Jolene Elser, Tina Crowley, Melanie Flaming and Rachel Faber. Senior Scout Beth Ehrp facilitated the group. Father Clair Boes, pastor of the parish, presented the pins on March 10.
50 years ago – 1966
- Students and St. Edmond faculty members shared a typical meal used during the Jewish Passover season last Thursday, as they considered the significance of the Last Supper when Our Lord observed the celebration with its many customs and symbolisms, and initiated the first Mass, as we know it today.
- Granville- Margaret Gaul, Spalding junior, won first place in the Electric Youth Tour Contest, April 4. The oratorical contest was sponsored for high school juniors of Sioux County by the Sioux Electric Cooperative Association of Orange City.
- The Most Rev. Joseph M. Mueller, D. D., Bishop of Sioux City, announced today the creation of a new parish in the Morningside area of Sioux City. Father Leo Harpenau, pastor of Sacred Heart in Templeton, has been appointed first pastor of the parish named in honor of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ.