Compiled by Julie Pravecek
10 years ago – 2016
- Cherokee Immaculate Conception Church has a new altar and other new pieces of furniture that were created with designs by Father Armand Bertrand.
- Retreat for persons with disabilities was held at Sacred Heart, Sioux City on Feb. 25 and at the Corpus Christi Parish Center in Fort Dodge on March 4.
- War hero Colonel “Bud” Day speaks to Heelan students of how he endured 67 months as a POW during the Vietnam War.
25 years ago – 1991
- Tony DeAnda of Heelan High School in Sioux City, won the Iowa Class 3A state wrestling championship, held in Des Moines on March 2.
- Briar Cliff College will implement four new academic major programs this fall according to Jeffrey Willens, the college’s executive vice president and academic dean: human resource management, elementary education and secondary education majors, along with the theater major.
- Catholic chart-topper Gloria Estefan makes a comeback from her bus accident where she broke her back. She said, “Obviously, God was a big part of it.”
50 years ago – 1966
- Ordinations: 49 seminarians were in the ordination class on March 7 at Mt. St. Bernard in Dubuque; 13 of them from the Diocese of Sioux City. Auxiliary Bishop Frank H. Greteman of Sioux City was the ordaining prelate.
- Knights of Columbus Council 1722 in Cherokee with Msgr. Louis J. Lynch, State Chaplain of the Knights, presented the Knight of the Year Award to Robert Haselhoff.
- Approximately 2,000 people visited the 7th annual Kuemper Science Fair on March 13, where 107 projects were displayed. Father Thomas M. Donahoe, superintendent of Carroll Kuemper, announced the 24 first place ribbon winners.